Paediatric First Aid at Work Courses
Paediatric First Aid At Work Course
The Paediatric First Aid Course takes 2 days to complete and is a fun and interactive course. If you would like to book your place or if you have a question for us please call 0191 7166601, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our online enq0uiry form and a member of the team will get back to you shortly.
Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid Course (RQF)
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Statutory Framework requires all early years providers in England to have at least one person who has a current and full Paediatric First Aid Certificate on the premises and is available at all times when children are present.
Providers should also take into account the number of children, staff and layout of the premises and increase their Paediatric First Aid provision accordingly to ensure that a Paediatric First Aider is available to respond to emergencies quickly.
The Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid Course has been specifically designed to meet the criteria set by the Department for Education’s EYFS Framework and is ideal for:
- Those who have gained a level 2 and/or level 3 childcare qualification and have entered into early years settings, for example: nursery workers and wish to be included in the staff to child ratios to comply with EYFS requirements.
- Registered childminders, assistants and childcare professionals who are required to hold a current and full Paediatric First Aid certificate in order to comply with the EYFS requirements.
- Anyone who has a non-professional involvement with infants and children, such as parents, grandparents and want to learn key Paediatric First Aid skills.
- Anyone who is involved in a childcare setting, including school clubs, au pairs, accompany children for school trips or other related education sectors where awareness of paediatric first aid would be beneficial.
Newly qualified entrants to early years setting who have completed a level 2 and/or level 3 qualification on or after 30th June 2016, must also have either a full Paediatric First Aid or an Emergency Paediatric First Aid certificate within three months of starting work.
First Aid Courses
Over a 3 day period, learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of first aid situations, including: assessing an incident, managing an unresponsive casualty, CPR, heart attacks, choking, head and spinal injuries, fractures, anaphylaxis and more.
During this 1 day course, learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of Emergency First Aid situations, including: managing an unresponsive casualty, CPR, choking, shock, wounds and bleeding and minor injuries.
The First Aid At Work Refresher Course takes just half a day to complete and is a fast, fun and interactive course. The Refresher Course ensures that your knowledge is up to date and tests your awareness and skill level with a number First Aid scenario and situational training.
Over a 2 day period, learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of Paediatric First Aid situations, including: assessing an emergency situation, dealing with an unresponsive infant or child, CPR, choking, meningitis, head and spinal injuries, anaphylaxis, asthma and more.
During this 1 day course, learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of Paediatric First Aid situations, including: managing an unresponsive infant or child, CPR, choking, seizures, external bleeding and more.
The Paediatric First Aid Refresher Course takes 3 hours to complete and is a very interactive and scenario based short course.
The Combined First Aid at Work and Paediatric First Aid Course takes 3 days to complete and is a fun and interactive course where you will be able to qualify for First Aid At Work and Paediatric First Aid in a specially designed single course.
Contact First Aid and Safety Training
Recognised by Early Years Foundation Stage
On completion, you will receive a Qualsafe First Aid Certificate that is recognised by employers and businesses that work within a child setting.
Over a 2 day period, learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of Paediatric First Aid situations, including assessing an emergency situation, dealing with an unresponsive infant or child, CPR, choking, meningitis, head and spinal injuries, anaphylaxis, asthma and more.
There will be a number of assessments on the Paediatric First Aid Course, don’t worry though, your instructor will make sure you are 100% ready to take and pass them successfully.
7 x Practical assessments and 2 x Theory assessments (Multiple Choice Question Papers).
Paediatric First Aid Course Qualification Overview
The qualification and learning outcomes are based on the recommendations of:
- Resuscitation Council (UK).
- Assessment Principles for Regulated First Aid Qualifications.
- Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
This qualification is for people who work with or look after children, enabling them to have a basic knowledge of how to deal with Paediatric First Aid situations that can arise when looking after children.
This qualification outlines a range of practical skills for providing first aid to infants and children. Learners will practice assessing and managing an incident and demonstrate how to treat a variety of serious conditions.
The objective of the Paediatric First Aid Course
The objective of the qualification is to benefit learners by enabling them to attain the knowledge and practical competencies needed to deal with a range of Paediatric First Aid situations when looking after children.
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare the learner to develop the skills and knowledge needed to provide effective first aid to children and Infants.
This qualification is for people who have a specific responsibility at work, or in voluntary and community activities, to provide first aid to infants and children when dealing with:
- An emergency situation.
- Chronic or sudden paediatric illness.
- Paediatric injury.
Structure of the Paediatric First Aid Course
This qualification contains 2 mandatory units with a Total Qualification Time (TQT) of 15 hours.
Learners must complete all assessments successfully within the registration period to achieve the qualification. The maximum period to achieve this qualification, including any referrals is 6 weeks.
TQT is the total number of hours required for a Learner to achieve this qualification. It has 2 elements:
- Guided Learning Hours (GLH) is the time a Learner is being taught and assessed under the immediate guidance of a Trainer/Assessor, which for this qualification is 12 GLH (minimum), and
- The number of hours a Learner will reasonably be likely to spend in preparation and study, including assessment, as directed by, but not under the immediate guidance or supervision of a Trainer, e.g. pre-course reading, which for this qualification is 3 hours.
This paediatric first aid training qualification contains 2 mandatory units with a total value of 2 credits.
Our courses are fully up to date with the latest government guidance and COVID safe.
What You Will Learn On The Paediatric First Aid Course
The Paediatric First Aid Course is very in-depth and will give you a thorough grounding and knowledge when it comes to knowing what to do in an Emergency paediatric situation involving children and babies.
Within the Paediatric First Aid Course you will have a lot of hands-on time dealing with emergency scenarios and incidents and will cover the following:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the Paediatric First Aider.
- Be able to assess an emergency situation safely.
- Understand the primary survey.
- Be able to provide First Aid for an infant and a child who is unresponsive.
- Be able to provide First Aid for an infant and a child who is choking.
- Be able to provide First Aid to an infant and a child with external bleeding.
- Know how to provide First Aid to an infant or a child who is suffering from shock.
- Know how to provide First Aid to an infant or a child with bites, stings and minor injuries.
- Know how to provide baby resuscitation and perform CPR.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR): be able to demonstrate correct placement of AED pads on a child manikin and identify where to place AED pads on an infant manikin.
- Demonstrate ‘following AED instructions’.
- Recovery Position: a position that maintains a stable open draining airway.
- Provide appropriate help for an infant (baby) or a child.
- Manage the situation and seek appropriate assistance when necessary.
- Be aware of seizures.
- Awareness of dealing with an electric shock.
- Understand Hypovolaemic shock.
- Deal with human and animal bites.
- Deal with bee and wasp stings.
- Understand Anaphylactic shock.
- Deal with an asthma attack.
- Know what needs to be in a paediatric first aid box or mobile first aid kit.
The full course can be completed in two ways, 3 days of training in-person learning onsite at your workplace or at our registered location. Alternatively, the first element of the course can be completed as blended learning where you will conduct the first day of the paediatric course via our digital portal online course.
Successful Completion and First Aid Certificate
On completion of the course, you will feel confident when dealing with an emergency situation including unconscious casualties. Your training and course will comply with Ofsted requirements and contain the appropriate contents to ensure you are able to make decisions that matter.
Following the course you will receive an eCertificate within 7 days, followed by a printed certificate for your qualification.
The qualification will last for three years, you can update your qualification each year or complete the entire Paediatric First Aid course when it is due to expire.
Other First Aid Training and Training Courses Available
Emergency First Aid At Work Course
Emergency First Aid At Work Course 13 October 2022Add to basket
Emergency First Aid At Work Course
Emergency First Aid At Work Course 10 November 2022Add to basket
Emergency First Aid At Work Course
Emergency First Aid At Work Course 8 December 2022Add to basket
Photo's from Paediatric First Aid Courses
At First Aid and Safety Training will believe that practice makes perfect, therefore, in a majority of our courses we like our students to get as hands-on as possible. You will have plenty of opportunities to practice your newly acquired First Aid skills when you attend one of our Paediatric First Aid Courses.